Planning your dream vacations can sometimes become quite a handful, but if you are Traveling to Kailua-Kona for a vacation then be prepared to be captured by the true magic of Hawaii. Being one of the smaller islands of Hawaii, Kailua-Kona with a total population of only 11,000 has managed to become the crowned tourist destination for the northern island. What makes 103 square mile city so different from other Hawaiian cities is that, it is not as commercial as other Hawaiian cities and it has still managed to hold on to the true essence of Hawaii.
If you are planning on traveling to Kailua-Kona for your dream vacation, then it is always advisable to pack as lightly as possible because with a standard temperature between 34 degrees Celsius in the summer to 14 degrees in the winter, Kailua-Kona is amongst the warmer tourist destinations. But being the beautiful tourist destination that Kailua-Kona is, it is very important to know about the most popular sights and activities to get a better picture of the place.
While Traveling to Kailua-Kona, what many people might not know that this ancient village dates backs hundreds of years and hosts some of the most beautiful sights imaginable. Based amongst the beautiful coastline, some of the most interesting places which are a must see in Kailua-Kona are:
Mauna Kea Summit
– Standing in at more than thirteen-thousand feet, this is sight is one of the most popular sites and a must see when you are visiting to Kailua-Kona. But it is very important to pack some warm clothes with you, as the top of the summit can get really cold.
– It is a well-known fact that Hawaii is most popular for its beautiful white sand and clear water beaches, and Manini’owali Beach is perhaps as good as it gets. With one cleanest beaches in all of Hawaii, this is one site not to miss.
Kaloko-Honokohua National Park
– Often loosing out to other popular sites in Kailua-Kona, The Kaloko-Honokohua National Park displays nature at its best and a must see for all. Not only does it have of one the most beautiful landscapes, deep set with traditional fishing ponds, but it also has one of the best turtle watching sights in all of Hawaii
- H. Greenwell Store Museum
– Even though this cannot truly be called a museum, but this store has evolved into one of the most popular sites in Kailua-Kona. Still holding strongly to its roots and trading the way they did a 100 years back, this store still preserved the interiors from the 1800’s, while selling you your groceries.
– If you are wondering as to what significance does a coastline area holds, then be ready to take a second look as this is one of the most popular turtle beaches in North America.
– artisans have become the definition for any tourist destination, as they are able to tell their tales through their art. The Holualoa Village is perhaps the one place in all of Kailua-Kona that has the highest amounts of art galleries and local artisans, who have something for everyone.
Where to Eat
It is a well-known fact that the local cuisines can tell a lot about the culture of any place, but in this modern world it is the fine balance of the local delicacies and modern cooking that has become the signature for any tourist destinations. Which is why if you are a foodie then Kailua-Kona is the perfect place for you and some of the popular eating joints here are:
The Lemongrass Bristro
– If quality food within your budget is your thing, then the Lemongrass Bistro is the place for you. Located near the Kuakini Hwy, this is the perfect place for you to enjoy your meals along with your family.
Da Poke Shack
– Being voted one of the most popular restaurants in Kailua-Kona, Da Poke shack truly stands as a definition of fine dining within a budget.
Ulu Grill & Sushi Lounge
– The love for Sushi is universal and if its Sushi with a Hawaiian twist, then it simply becomes the food of gods. Food at Ulu’s does not only look great, but it also tastes heavenly, which it is one of the most in demand restaurants in all of Hawaii.
Scandinavian Shave Ice
– Even though the name might be European, the Scandinavian Shave ice is as traditional as it gets an, which is why it is very important to have this local Hawaiian version of the modern day ice cream.
– Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and if you are a late riser then you might know the importance of a good Brunch. Basik Acai is one of those eating joints in Kailau-Kona that sits cosily aside the beach and has one of the best breakfast and brunch’s that Kona has to offer.
Green Flash Coffee
– Hospitality with great food are the only words that can define this beautiful coffee shop, which is why this Coffee shop has the shortest description in the list.
It is believed that only a woman understands the true value of a good shopping paradise, but Kailua-Kona has been able this age old thought. Offering some of the most amazing shops and malls Kona is one place that has turned even the manliest of man into shoppaholics, which is why it is important to know the most popular places for shopping to satisfy your need to shop.
Alii Gardens Market Place
– If its some hardcore traditional shopping that you are looking for then Alii’s is the place for you. With more than 50 vendors, you can get some of the best deals in all of Kona.
Coconut Grove Market Place
– No matter how rich or poor you are, a good shopping mall that hosts some of the biggest shops under one roof can be tempting to anyone and the Coconut Grove is one place that acts as home to some of the most beautiful shops in Kona.
Crossroads Shopping Centre
– A shopping mall that offers goods at a low price is just everyone’s dreams and giving way to this dream is Crossroads.
Kaloko Light Industrial Park
– The name might scare you at first, making you think that this is one place for the corporate. But it is nothing like that. Only 15 minutes from the airport, if you want to get some heavy shopping done then Kaloko is the place for you.
Honolua Surf Company
– Surfing is one of those main things that attract the most amount of people in Hawaii and Surfing without the right equipment’s can be the same as a body without a soul. And pumping the much needed life back to many surfers, the Honolua Surf company has become the shopping capital for every surfer.
King Kamehameha Shopping Mall
– Not talking about Dragon Ball Z, but the shopping mall, King Kamehameha Shopping Mall is one of those must visit malls that has a little bit of everything for everyone.
How to Get Around
Saving the most important for the last none of sightseeing, shopping or activities are impossible if you can’t move around freely. Kailua-Kona is one of those small cities which can be travelled mostly on foot, but hiking is not meant for everyone and some of the best way to get around are :
–On Foot – Being a small city, Kona is the hikers paradise
–Bicycle – If nature is your thing then you can rent a bicycle to move around freely
–Bus – Even though it is not suitable for many people, The bus is perhaps one of the most cost effective ways to move around
–Tram – Kona is one of those cities that has a detailed tramway system, and it is an efficient way to move around
–Rental Cars – If you can afford it, then rental cars are the best way to travel around Kona
If you are a tourist traveling to Kailua-Kona, then you can choose any of the above mentioned way to move around Kona, but perhaps the safest and best to travel around is by the means of a bus. As not only will it save you money, but it will also keep you from getting lost